From: justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My wishlist for EAPI 5
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 07:25:59
1 On 21/06/12 08:41, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 23:43:36 +0200
3 > Justin <jlec@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On 20.06.2012 22:35, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:25:30 -0400
6 >>> Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>> Multilib (and/or multiarch) support
8 >>>> The current binaries cause a great deal of pain,
9 >>>> particularly when a user does not want to upgrade something. I had
10 >>>> this problem with WINE and glibc because I wanted to avoid the
11 >>>> reverse memcpy() fiasco on my systems. This situation would have
12 >>>> been avoided entirely if the package manager supported multilib.
13 >>>
14 >>> This one's unlikely to happen unless someone's prepared to put in
15 >>> the work.
16 >>
17 >> Tommy worked a lot on this and he asked for help to bring his
18 >> proposal/spec/glep into shape.
19 >> We are all aware what this is all about and know that anybody who is
20 >> using multilib would benefit.
21 >> Can't you simply work with him together to get it into what you expect
22 >> it to be instead of pointing out that it isn't?
23 >
24 > In order to do that, it would have to get to the stage where I
25 > understood exactly what changes are needed and why. I'm not convinced
26 > *anyone* understands that yet.
27 >
28 > Writing PMS patches, at least to the level that we can review them, is
29 > only difficult if you don't know what you want changed or why.
32 He wants to deprecate the app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-* packages and
33 build it if needed directly from "normal" ebuilds through the package
34 manager. This was stated a couple of times and is not hard to
35 understand, even without PMS patches, GLEPS and so.
36
37 *anyone* understands that there are cases when the x86 libs are needed
38 and every gentoo package maintainer should understand, that letting the
39 user build their own x86 libs is what we want in ideal case.
40
41 There is a working implementation as a branch of portage for some time
42 now and people work on it.
43
44 So two basic things are there, the need and the idea of a working
45 solution. This also means, that people need to have an idea of what is
46 real problem. (And if not, it was asked a couple of times for discussion)
47
48 Won't it be a good thing, if you instead of showing all of us, that you
49 can tell where people fail to present something in the right way, help
50 and guide them to write the necessary things like PMS patches, GLEPs
51 etc., so that we can proceed in an efficient way?
52
53 justin