From: Matt Thrailkill <xwred1@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] security updating automation.
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:52:04
1 We've discussed this a little in the "Gentoo Weekly News Letter - Where
2 is Gentoo Linux 1.4" thread.
3
4 Talked about how you could strain the updates through your own custom
5 portage tree by hand, and then have your machines pull from that custom
6 tree. So then you could craft something similar to how Debian Woody
7 works now, where you know just what packages there are, and the only
8 things changed are bug fixes and security updates.
9
10 Then we talked about how it was a bit of a large waste of effort to
11 expect all sysadmins to be doing this for themselves, and it'd be handy
12 to have some sort of subproject to maintain different portage trees for
13 people to choose from, while the main gentoo crowd continues along
14 advancing the bleeding edge.
15
16 The thread seems to have died off for tonight, though. In it, someone
17 mentioned the security-only proposals for emerge but nothing more than a
18 mention.
19
20 On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:38:55 +0200