From: Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for the portage maintainers
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:11:46
1 On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 22:36, Tom St Denis wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On April 12, 2004 08:23 am, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
6 > > maillog: 12/04/2004-08:03:13(-0400): Tom St Denis types
7 > >
8 > > > Oh, ok so I'll just format my disk, reinstall Gentoo from scratch so that
9 > > > I can not waste 200M of space on 80k small files.
10 > >
11 > > You can always use a loopback device with a filesystem of your choice.
12 > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=68215
13 >
14 > That's a potential solution but a bit out of the way for the user don't you
15 > think? Isn't the point of quality software to attract users simply by having
16 > merit?
17 >
18 > > > That's not really user friendly. Could have done a JAR like setup for
19 > > > each dir of the tree. e.g. all of app-text be one huge ZIP file [with no
20 > > > compression]. Such a setup might be a little slower to add/remove files
21 > > > but would waste less space.
22 > > >
23 > > > The idea would make a little sense though in practice. When I do "emerge
24 > > > sync" instead of fetching 1000s of small files I just check the timestamp
25 > > > on the directory zips and download them wholesale. [Ok so maybe
26 > > > compression makes sense here].
27 > >
28 > > How is this method faster or in any way better than rsync?
29 >
30 > Less metadata? If I want to download 1000 files off your site I have to say
31 >
32 > +GET /file1
33 > - -HTTP/1.1 200 OK
34 > ... data
35 > +GET /file2
36 > - -HTTP/1.1 200 OK
37 > ... data
38 > +GET /file3
39 > - -HTTP/1.1 200 OK
40 > ... data
41 > ETC
42 >
43 > The overhead translates on both sides too. E.g. My FS now has to find room
44 > for and enter in 1000s of files. The server side has to locate 1000s of
45 > files.
46 >
47 > Also the portage files are not compressed. If you take an entire directory
48 > [again say app-text] and compress it you save bandwidth. A quick check of
49 > app-text on my box [updated last night] gives a 850K zip file [290K tar.bz2]
50 > compared to 2.7M of raw data. Obviously sending the entire zip would be
51 > wasting more bandwidth when only small changes occur.
52
53 Rsync compresses the information it sends, additionally (and most
54 importantly) rsync only sends the differences, not the whole file, so it
55 is even more efficient. Visit rsync.samba.org and have a read about how
56 it all works.
57
58 Another point against a monolithic zip containing all the ebuilds (or
59 even per directory zips) is the performance hit that slow machines would
60 take, not everybody runs gentoo on a 2GHz plus machine (eg: my little
61 PII-400 in the corner)
64 Troy Dack http://linux.tkdack.com
65 <troy@××××××.com> http://webportage.sf.net
66
67 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x4D90BE3C
68 Key fingerprint = 1F3D 6C15 16AA 09D5 0C96 92E5 FD89 16F9 4D90 BE3C
72 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list