From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55 Version 2
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 03:33:58
1 Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > I've spent some time reading all of this years emails on GLEP55 and
3 > added a few lines to version 1.5 which is the last offical version.
4 >
5 Thanks for all the hard work.
6
7 My apologies for my mistaken comment at the end of the last Council meeting.
8 Clearly the mangler /does/ need to know the EAPI without sourcing for future
9 extensibility.
10
11 I'd just like to know what the implications would be for users if we kept
12 the .ebuild extension, and a new PMS were rolled out stating that the
13 mangler were allowed to find the EAPI without sourcing (and giving the
14 restrictions) once portage 2.2 was stable, or the ability to handle this
15 backported to 2.1.6, and issued in a release?
16
17 Would it be unacceptable to have a clear upgrade path for any users who
18 didn't actually update portage? (Perhaps a news item so they'd be
19 notified as and when they ran emerge.)
20
21 It strikes me that we went through a similar situation with bash-3.17 I
22 think it was, and that once we're past this, there'll never be any need
23 to worry in the future. So, given that it's taken so long and so much
24 discussion, why not just do this last big bump, and not worry about
25 about using another extension at all?
26
27 After all, the issue would only arise once Council approved an EAPI
28 requiring one of the incompatible changes, and 3 has only recently come
29 out.
30
31 Also, you asked for proponents of either side to provide statistics as to
32 the time difference between the various options. It's rather hard for me
33 to patch paludis, nor do I have the inclination. I am not being facetious,
34 simply pointing out that the comparison has to be made within a single app.
35 Comparing an approach implemented in portage vs one in paludis is comparing
36 apples and oranges.
37
38 Also, Patrick brought up cache improvements (like not having a single cache
39 file per ebuild, but rather per package. This could have the EAPI and
40 versions first, followed by metadata per version.) I feel we should bear in
41 mind that there are other areas where we can improve things, many of which
42 we have not even thought of, or at least discussed.
43
44 With respect to time gains in interactivity, much has been made of the
45 speed difference between portage and paludis. I have yet to see any
46 comparative numbers between pkgcore and paludis in this regard. (If we are
47 going to compare manglers and not algorithms.)
48
49 I think we are agreed now that an EAPI which can be extracted before source
50 does fulfil all the criteria (as others have said, this is actually what the
51 GLEP is about; ascertaining the EAPI without needing to source.) If not,
52 could someone please explain why not.
53
54 Regards,
55 Steve.
56 --
57 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)