From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automagic pax-mark
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 22:08:57
1 On 04/07/2013 05:20 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
3 > <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Hello All,
5 >>
6 >> After recent changes in dev-lang/v8 and related ebuilds, the pax-mark call no
7 >> longer has a || die. This means that the resulting binaries may have PT_PAX,
8 >> XATTR_PAX, both or neither markings depending on kernel configuration,
9 >> filesystem and mount options.
10 >>
11 >> I'd say that is not a good thing. If you agree with me, what could be done
12 >> here? Have pax-mark die in the eclass or mandate || die in ebuilds? This
13 >> would probably require pax-mark calls to be conditional on pax_kernel USE
14 >> flag or similar.
15 >>
16 > Most ebuilds do not call pax-mark || die. Most people do not run PaX
17 > systems, so a failure here is not a major issue.
18 >
19 > I would like to see the kernel patch enabling user.pax attributes on
20 > tmpfs submitted to Linus' kernel tree; that would eliminate the major
21 > cause of failures here.
22 >
23 > In the mean time, maybe we could disable XATTR_PAX markings by default
24 > for people not using the hardened profile.
25 >
26 You can disable either or both type of pax markings by setting
27 PAX_MARKINGS. We can change the default in the eclass. Its currently
28 set to "PT XT". Setting it to "PT" would revert to only doing PT_PAX
29 markings. Then users will have to manually set XT in their make.conf.
30
31 I can try to get the user.pax on tmpfs patch into the Linux tree. At the
32 very least, we can get it into gentoo-sources.
35 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
36 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
37 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
38 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
39 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA