From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy regarding enabling IUSE defaults application in ebuild
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 23:57:30
1 Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
2
3 > While it usually doesn't do any particular harm (but I guess security and
4 > prefix/alt team won't agree on this) - insanely enabling everything by default
5
6 The Prefix team does not care either way.
7
8 > is not the best idea in my opinion.
9 > Of course we need an example. Let's have a look at latest stable media-
10 > video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p20090322 ebuild:
11 >
12 > IUSE="3dnow 3dnowext +a52 +aac aalib +alsa altivec +amrnb +amrwb arts +ass
13 > bidi bindist bl +cddb +cdio cdparanoia -cpudetection -custom-cflags
14 > -custom-cpuopts debug dga +dirac directfb doc +dts +dv dvb +dvd +dvdnav dxr3
15 > +enca +encode esd +faac +faad fbcon ftp gif ggi -gtk +iconv ipv6 jack
16 > joystick jpeg kernel_linux ladspa libcaca lirc +live lzo mad md5sum +mmx
17 > mmxext mng +mp2 +mp3 musepack nas +nemesi +network openal +opengl oss png pnm
18 > pulseaudio pvr +quicktime radio +rar +real +rtc -samba
19 > +schroedinger sdl +speex sse sse2 ssse3 svga teletext tga +theora +tremor
20 > +truetype +unicode v4l v4l2 vdpau vidix +vorbis -win32codecs +X +x264 xanim
21 > xinerama +xscreensaver +xv +xvid xvmc zoran"
22 >
23 > Personally I'd really like to hear some explanation from maintainers about the
24 > reasons mplayer needs all those dependencies or why they are *really*
25 > recommended for every user of *any* profile (let me remind this).
26 >
27 > But thats's not the point - the point is, Gentoo probably needs some policy to
28 > advise, when some newly added USE flags are appropriate to be enabled by
29 > default.
30 >
31 > I suggest as follows:
32 > - When newly added USE flag makes already provided feature optional - needs to
33 > be enabled by default (this is required to make package feature set somewhat
34 > invariant after update)
35 > - When newly added USE flag adds new feature that is considered very common
36 > (that's tricky part and decision should be always made by herd, not individual
37 > developer) *but* *does* *not* *pull* *any* *dependencies* - enable by default
38 > - in any other case *do* *not* *enable* by default - (why? because "I use it
39 > so I'll enable it by default" is not enough of an explanation)
40 >
41 > What's the opinion on that? I guess we need some policy or at least some
42 > suggestion mentioned in devmanual - really..
43
44 IUSE defaults or USE defaults in profiles..Either way...someone will
45 complain. This is why you can disable flags in package.use, *or* select
46 a non-desktop profile. meh..
47
48 -Jeremy