From: Nathaniel McCallum <Nathaniel_McCallum@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
Cc: Alvaro Figueroa Cabezas <fede2@××××××××××××××××××.cr>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The release of 1.4 and its impact on our mirrors
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:57:41
1 Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o> writes:
2 >The GRP cds can be pre-ordered from our store; they allow one to set up
3 >a complete, optimized gentoo linux *very fast* on a system that shouldn't
4 >even be connected to the net. These 2 disc GRP sets for each cpu (right
5 >now
6 >x86 and ppc, no word yet from sparc or the others) contain (in casu ppc)
7 >some
8 >distfiles, prebuild packages for most commonly used stuff and stages.
9 >
10 >A grp cd is a small livecd with some prebuild packages
11 >
12 >We know that:
13 >
14 >livecd = bootloader + kernel with uncompressor module + initrd +
15 >compressed(live-env)
16 >live-env = stage3 + extra packages
17 >stage3 = stage2 + extra packages
18 >stage2 = stage1 + bootstrap
19 >
20 >so we could give you a small script (emerge livecd-ng) that given a 10M
21 >stage1 builds a complete livecd or a GRP cd etc, but that script has a 'I
22 >need a net
23 >connection to download stuff' and a 'I need a week compile time, unless
24 >you
25 >got 20 machines lying around doing nothing' dependency.
26 >
27 >I think jigdo has the same problem; it has a 'I need a network'
28 >dependency.
29 >It might not have a 'I need cpu time' dependency, but we need to make the
30 >prebuild packages available (or have jigdo compile from source). With
31 >debian
32 >I can understand those packages are available as .deb, but with gentoo
33 >ebuilds have to be compiled (which is what makes imho gentoo so easy to
34 >port
35 >to other platforms/architectures).
36 >
37 >I cannot suggest a direct solution to this problem. p2p is the first thing
38 >that comes to mind, but we'll have to look into that first to check if
39 >that
40 >solution is applicable to our problem. (safety/security is an important
41 >issue
42 >here).
43 >
44 >A solution that I think might be worth while investigating is 'cloning'
45 >(The idea comes from the prototype-based (instead of OO) programming
46 >languages, such as Sun SELF):
47 >
48 >--
49 >Instead of releasing stages, and several types of livecds on every
50 >release,
51 >we could make and release only one livecd for each architecture gentoo
52 >linux runs
53 >on. The purpose of our livecds is to give people an idea what gentoo
54 >looks/feels like when it is installed. So, basically the live environment
55 >on the livecd == (should be) the same environment as it would be after
56 >installing
57 >gentoo to your hard drive without manually modifying it. The only
58 >difference being that the live
59 >environment on the cd is read-only, while those on your hard drive isn't
60 >of
61 >course. Since nothing has been manually modified, one can call the live
62 >environment
63 >clean. (No user modified files, no user added files, ...)
64 >
65 >Portage does merging and unmerging of software: this means
66 >that should you copy a clean live environment from a livecd onto a
67 >harddisk,
68 >you could downgrade it to a clean state (stage0), or to a stage2, a
69 >stage3 or just unmerge one package. You could also 'add' or replace
70 >software: add an
71 >extra build to the live environment (this requires net connection)...
72 >Since portage knows what a clean live environment is (it keeps a record
73 >of the files it
74 >installs for each package.), this means that given a 'poluted'
75 >environment it should be
76 >able to migrate to a clean environment. Heck, portage is even capable of
77 >given a gentoo
78 >environment, create a GRP package using that environment.
79 >
80 >What I'm suggesting is the following: suppose gentoo releases a livecd,
81 >and
82 >kept updating the environment on this livecd on a regular interval (mount
83 >the
84 >live env, emerge --update word). If we figure out a way to clone the live
85 >environment of a livecd onto a hd, and the other way around, there would
86 >be
87 >no need for GRP, nor stages, only a live environment (a livecd). The only
88 >thing
89 >that we need to have is a huge live environment (cd) on major releases
90 >and a small
91 >live environment on smaller releases. I can prove that this cloning
92 >system can support
93 >everything we support now (custom CFLAGS...). And we no longer need to
94 >provide people with cpu optimized optimized stuff, as they will be able to
95 >provide that themselves. We could still have an oportunity to build
96 >optimized live
97 >environments, but users could do themselves too. (a big environment can be
98 >downgraded to a small one and upgraded to a bigger, optimized one without
99 >much difficulty)
100 >
101 >conclusion:
102 >
103 >I think that instead of releasing a livecd (=stage1+extra stuff) with a
104 >set
105 >of stages (stage1 , stage1+extra stuff, stage1+bootstrap+extra stuff) and
106 >some extra
107 >stuff as GRP cd. We could release a big livecd (=stage1+a lot of extra
108 >stuff)
109 >if we enhanced our package manager. I see no drawbacks, apart from
110 >revising
111 >our current method of installation. Imho installation stays as educational
112 >and powerfull as it is now. Maybe faster and better to some.
113 >Note that this is only a idea, and not ment to be something that I
114 >absolutely
115 >want.
116
117 Just want everyone to know, that GLIS (http://glis.sf.net) is happy to be
118 involved with anything that needs help (especially the scripting).
119
120 Nathaniel
124 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list