From: Alexander Mieland <dma147@×××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some important questions to the officals of www.gentoo.org
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:39:09
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Am Sonntag, 11. Juli 2004 00:05 schrieb Grant Goodyear:
5 > > Now we want to ask, if we can have a subdomain of gentoo.org to
6 > > publish it, when it is finished. The old, dead project had a
7 > > subdomain, but it's down.
8 >
9 > Um, why all the secrecy?
10
11 that's because I've made enough experience with people who steals ideas.
12
13 > You'll want to talk to somebody on the infrastructure team, but I think
14 > I can fairly say that the answer will be "no", unless (a) you are
15 > willing to give the Gentoo infrastructure team access to your server,
16
17 what do you mean with "access"? SSH or FTP? Or simply an uri to the
18 project to look at it?
19 At this time, we are planning on it. We don't have something you could
20 look at.
21
22 > and (b) the server satisfies the Gentoo infrastructure requirements.
23 > On the other hand, if there's a clear consensus that your project is
24 > worth having (and you're willing to maintain it), then I'm sure we
25 > would be happy to host your project on one of our servers and provide
26 > you with access to it.
27
28 Okay, then I'll explain, what we want to do and what we have done until
29 now.
30
31 Daniel and me, Alex, got the idea of a database which contains merge times
32 of all currently available (unmasked) gentoo packages for x86
33 architecture.
34 To realize this, we'll have a dedicated machine for just emerging all
35 packages (and which is just now merging...*g*).
36 The time it takes on this machine will be the standard and will be
37 multiplied with the value calculated by a client, which has information
38 about the users hardware. This way we will be able to give the people a
39 clue of how long it would take to emerge certain packages on their own
40 machine.
41
42 With this idea and also the idea behind the two projects on
43 stats.gentoo.org and www.mksoft.co.il/gentoo-stats/, we want to provide a
44 service which is IMHO very informative and usefull.
45
46 What we have until now is surely the idea and the knowledge to code the
47 needed stuff (client-side-script and web-interface). But we don't want to
48 jump into the cold water, coding all the stuff without any official
49 support from gentoo.org, because that makes no sense.
50
51 So, that's the actual state.
52 if we'll be allowed to use the official design of gentoo.org and, perhabs
53 if we'll get a subdomain like state.gentoo.org, we would just begin to
54 realize this project.
55
56 okay, now it's your turn. *g*
57
58 Yours sincerely,
59
60 - --
61 Alexander Mieland System: Gentoo 2004.1, 2.6.7 SMP
62 APP - Another PHP Program Registered Linux-User #249600
63 http://www.php-programs.de http://counter.li.org
64 http://www.mieland-programming.de s/Alexander Mieland/dma147
74 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list