From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:00:23
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 06:25:50PM +0100, David Leverton wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 June 2010 09:46:52 Alex Alexander wrote: > > If the community feels their choice, albeit not perfect, will help the > > project, you have to respect that. That is, if you want to be part of the > > community :) > > I see your point to some extent, but the concern is that such decisions might > sometimes get made according to who's best at ignoring technical objections > rather than what's the best thing to do. It has happened before, although in > that case the change was made first, and then when the issue was brought up > it got basically ignored for so long that it would be pointless to fix. It > would be worrying if things like that started to happen more often.
I understand your concern. But this is no such case. We went through the discussion phase already. We're trying to avoid an endless loop.
> In any case, as mentioned in my other mail, if this particular change is done > in a way that's optional for the user, I personally won't be /too/ upset if > the rest of you want to do unspeakable things to your systems ;-).
This thread is about LDFLAGS+="--as-needed" in make.defaults, which can be overridden, so I don't see any issues there either. You're free to change the defaults if you don't like them :) -- Alex Alexander :: wired Gentoo Developer