From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] layman-global.txt, repositories.xml, layman, overlays.gentoo.org
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:05:08
1 On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:00:13 +0200
2 Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:51:02 +0200
5 > > Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > >> At the moment moving overlay meta info into the overlays does not
7 > >> seem like a good idea to. It would mean that any script working
8 > >> with overlays needs to check the repo out to get to that data.
9 > >> That doesn't sound like fun to me.
10 > >
11 > > No, you can copy the data into your master file. It's just that the
12 > > original source of the data would be the repository, not the person
13 > > adding the repository to the list.
14 >
15 > If it can change, it needs to be kept in sync. I really don't think
16 > it belongs in there.
17
18 Sure. Just periodically fetch the repository centrally. Have a master
19 list of sync URLs with expected repository names, and use that to
20 generate the full master list that includes metadata.
21
22 Added bonus: you can quickly remove any repository that no longer
23 exists.
26 Ciaran McCreesh