From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Web Application Installation
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 09:34:48
1 Ok what about the following.
2
3 The problem that is most existent in this case is the fact that you want the
4 eclass to support almost every kind of use. That is nice indeed. But making
5 things easy for single hostname smalltime servers, and for extensive virtual
6 hosting supports with customized webservers etc. is complicated. Also in that
7 case default apache configuration snippets don't make that much sense. I
8 think a solution could be to introduce a "local" useflag that selects
9 behaviour.
10
11 If you have a simple webserver for personal use, you can just leave things as
12 they are and you can just run the config script or take some simple actions
13 and everything works. For the other case the configuration tool can be used
14 to create instances of a webapp for different virtual servers. That tool
15 would probably need some configuration file etc. and it might even perform
16 changes to the CONTENTS file to make the instances being included in the
17 ebuild (when removing). It could then also automatically change the slot of
18 the installed package so that it does not automatically get removed.
19
20 I think that should be able to keep both sides happy.
21
22 Paul
23
24 ps. one thing I want to add though is that for a simple installation I think
25 the configuration files should be config-protected (how that is aranged I
26 don't care), and for complex setups the instance configurations should also
27 be protected in some way (but that might be handled by the tool)
30 Paul de Vrieze
31 Researcher
32 Mail: pauldv@××××××.nl
33 Homepage: http://www.cs.kun.nl/~pauldv