From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ebuild Janitor Project
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:34:02
1 On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 23:01, David Nielsen wrote:
2
3 > Okay, our guidelines clearly state that when a fixed ebuild has been
4 > confirmed by two other people as working, we submit it to bugzilla. All
5 > the ebuild janitors do is make sure that the ebuilds use the USE flags
6 > to the maximum of their potential, and of course generally clean them up
7 > as there's a lot of stuff in some older ebuilds that is no longer valid.
8 > Your mail clearly showed that you had not read those guidelines..
9
10 Why should we read every emerging sub projects documents? That's not
11 very realistic. Anyway, what defines an ebuild as working (this is a
12 problem in general) : does it build, does it build on a clean install
13 with any possible combination of USE flags, does it run fine for 1 month
14 on someones production server ?
15
16 Older ebuilds usually get phased out with time and cleaning is done on
17 new releases. Sure there will slip stuff trough now and then, nothing
18 major.
19
20 I had a quick peek at your ebuilds btw and i can tell you your
21 developers clearly do not read ChangeLog's for one, cause some things
22 that you do are certainly gonna give trouble.
23
24 What i'm afraid of here is that you and your project will give more
25 maintenance type of bugs which correct insignificant stuff, pressuring
26 an already pressured group of devs. And you guys happily define new USE
27 flags allover, which also isn't a good thing if you want to see your
28 changes integrated.
29
30 > The plan is NOT to fork portage, the plan is NOT to stage a coup, the
31 > plan is NOT to start a pissing contest with the developers... the plan
32 > is quite simple, to make portage even better.
33
34 A few ebuild corrections and a fork are whole different things. You have
35 obviously no idea what it takes to handle a full tree of ebuilds,
36 otherwise you wouldn't even have mentioned forking here in the first
37 place.
38
39 > Should we be so unlucky as to hit a major problem that we can't handle
40 > within the project, we will of course take contact to the person in
41 > charge, or mail gentoo-dev for input depending on the situation.
42
43 I'm not sure -dev is the right place for your problems with correcting
44 ebuild XYZ, it is already too high traffic for the general dev to keep
45 up with. Bugzilla or direct contact is probably best.
46
47 > We have already hit some cases that could be viewed as imperfections in
48 > the way flags are handled in Portage, and we have yet to receive any
49 > technical feedback on these issues.
50
51 Portage isn't perfect and there's a large TODO for it and i think we are
52 well aware of that. Developers have limited time, please take that in
53 mind when you want clarification about the feature you really need right
54 now/bug you encountered.
55
56 - foser
60 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list