From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: Heads up for Qt5
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 05:23:56
1 Hi!
2
3 We are getting nearer to a Qt5 beta release. Although it has already
4 been postponed a couple of times, we should expect it some time this
5 summer. This means we will start to see packages offering Qt5 support.
6
7 Pesa has already done a terrific job preparing live ebuilds and
8 eclasses for building Qt5 (tho maybe not all modules may be ready at
9 this point). They are available in our overlay. This should be a good
10 starting point for eventual release ebuilds that will hit the official
11 tree later.
12
13 In preparation for that, we want to ask maintainers of all ebuilds in
14 the tree with dependencies on Qt4, to make sure that they have the
15 proper slot. Otherwise your package may pull in Qt5 while it may not
16 in fact support it. Kensington has already done a good job, and is
17 presently being assisted by johu, going thru the tree, hunting for
18 such ebuilds. So you may get pinged about this issue if one of your
19 packages is affected.
20
21 We ourselves have made this oversight in the past in qt4-build.eclass,
22 which used to have unslotted blockers. This means that Qt5 was
23 actually blocked as well. Pesa fixed this a while ago, but people will
24 continue to have the unslotted blockers stored in their vdb until they
25 re-emerge or update all qt4 packages. Our apologies for the
26 inconvenience...
27
28 I also want to notify you that we will be using the "qt4" and "qt5"
29 useflags to indicate optional support for the respective Qt versions.
30
31 And finally, I want to thank all my fellow Qt team devs for making it
32 such a pleasure to work together on improving users' experience of Qt
33 libs and apps.
34 --
35 Cheers,
36
37 Ben | yngwin
38 Gentoo developer
39 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin