From: WANG Xuerui <i.gentoo@×××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Plans for a Gentoo/LoongArch port
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 03:30:23
1 On 8/12/21 14:39, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2
3 >>>>>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2021, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >> On Thu, 2021-08-12 at 09:21 +0800, WANG Xuerui wrote:
5 >>> I would say this is mostly aesthetic matter, because we have equally
6 >>> long ARCH names like "microblaze" or "openrisc" too. From a user's
7 >>> perspective I'd personally prefer "loong" to save some typing, but
8 >>> "loongarch" wouldn't hurt that much either.
9 >> I think following upstream (i.e. "loongarch" convention) is better.
10 >> We have already caused some mess with custom names like "arm64".
11 > Can we please keep these identifiers short? Currently all ARCH names are
12 > 5 characters at most (except prefix, of course). The total length of the
13 > KEYWORDS line isn't the main issue here, but tools like eshowkw or
14 > tables in the various web interfaces.
15 >
16 > It is also in GLEP 53 if you need a formal reference:
17 > "Note that no limit on the length of both fields in the keyword are
18 > imposed. However, we cannot overemphasize our preference to keep
19 > keywords small and sensible."
20
21 It seems the discussion has gone quiet for a while now, so I take that
22 we choose ARCH=loong over ARCH=loongarch according to GLEP 53?
23
24 If that doesn't receive much objection, I'll prepare and send the first
25 few eclass patches soon.
26
27 > Ulrich