From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [last rites] media-gfx/sodipodi
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:32:09
1 Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > Who said a package gets masked before it gets removed? There is no such
3 > requirement in the ebuild policy.
4
5 Come on. Is this a 'policy doesn't say I have to be sane' war? It's absolutely
6 reasonable to p.mask a package that is pending for removal. That way you give
7 the users a timeframe which they can search for alternative tools in. I don't
8 know whether policy does state this or not, I don't care. It's not like you
9 would get any bugs for a masked package. It's not like you would gain a lot of
10 space because you freed up 3 ebuilds and a few digests. It's not like you would
11 gain anything from removing it immediately. But those who use the package do
12 gain a lot from you giving them a hint to search for alternatives.
15 Kind Regards,
16
17 Simon Stelling
18 Gentoo/AMD64 Developer