From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:29:10
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On 03/28/12 03:16, Brian Dolbec wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 19:16 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >>> But that's ok, because extensive studies have shown that the only possible
5 >>> reasons for putting /usr/portage on its own partition are historical,
6 >>> since everyone has an SSD now.
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> Yeah, right.  Since I must be the only one out there that doesn't yet
10 >> have an SSD, you'll give me (and anyone else that still doesn't) one?
13 > like to say that we can't start making assumptions about what hardware
14 > people have and ignore anyone who does not fit those assumptions.
15 >
16 > I support Brian on this. If you guys want to have documentation on more
17 > advanced disk tricks, make a separate handbook that specializes in
18 > partitioning and filesystems. The main handbook can include a reference
19 > to it for advanced users.
20
21 You seem to have missed it too, so let's someone just spell it out
22 before this goes farther.
23
24 Ciaran was mocking the argument that's given by proponents of merging
25 / into /usr. He *doesn't* actually feel like that.
26
27 So let's stop this.