From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reduce load of tinderox' bug reprots to bugs.gentoo.org
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 12:40:43
1 On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 15:11:23 +0100
2 "Haelwenn (lanodan) Monnier" <contact@×××××××××.me> wrote:
3
4 > I think it might be better to fix bugzilla to be able to send multiple attachments at once. AWS S3 might be okay for the long term but I've often seen paste services being used and most of them expire in a week/month, so you can easily loose the content before it can be read or fixed and absolutely no hope to have it be readable if it's an old bug that might have appeared again.
5
6 Part of my objections to using Bugzilla for this is due to the
7 attachments frequently being unuseful.
8
9 Not that *all* of them are useless, but due to the pattern of
10 automation, no sentience evaluates if a given log is useful or not, so
11 there are usually many more to wade through that don't help.
12
13 Add to this the whole "bugzilla limits attachment sizes", and the
14 workaround being "upload compressed versions which are harder to read",
15 this creates a lot of attachments that can't even be read directly in
16 your browser (even though they're just text, the size demands
17 decompression first).
18
19 And due to the sizes involved, I worry about the burden it places on
20 the database to perform this at scale.
21
22 IMO, Databases are just not the tool to use for binary data storage. (
23 Though I suspect perhaps bugzilla has an out-of-database binary file
24 storage thing? idk ).
25
26 It feels like that mistake people make when they commit large binary
27 assets into git, where they really want something out-of-band more
28 optimized for it.
29
30 And like git, once its submitted, there's no "delete" as far as I know,
31 ... which, given the ratio of useful data vs the size, seems silly.
32
33 So the net result is a lot of downsides due to silly limitations in the
34 choice of platform.
35
36 I don't want to discourage automated testing, but I do want to champion
37 a better platform to store this data (and more importantly, aggregate
38 this data).
39
40 Just so its clear, my dream is a system like CPAN Testers, where
41 anybody can submit results regardless of who they are, with no quality
42 requirements on the data submissions, ... without necessitating that
43 each and every failure be communicated to a bug report.
44
45 That way, the 3rd party platform collects information that indicates
46 where a bug *could* be, and once an actual bug is found in this
47 information set, the bug is opened, citing the relevant details.