From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>, Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dropping ia64/ppc/sparc profiles to dev/exp
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 13:50:07
1 Dnia 8 maja 2017 15:27:18 CEST, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@g.o>
3 >wrote:
4 >> Against. Do not touch things you are not working on, council has
5 >already
6 >> dropped m68k s390 and sh to exp few years ago. Now we have a big mess
7 >> there and only, while ia64 sparc and co have slow but progress and
8 >> mature enough stable profiles.
9 >
10 >Obviously we should prevent big messes from happening. But it's a
11 >mistake that things I don't work on don't affect me -- work left over
12 >by lagging arch teams can affect me in many ways, in terms of having
13 >to keep older versions of my packages working and in the tree, and
14 >having to keep track of many more KEYWORDREQs and STABLEREQs.
15 >
16 >To me it's likely that the pace of stabilization for everyone is
17 >affected by the slower arches, in the sense that maintainers are less
18 >likely to stabilize newer versions if they see that arches can't keep
19 >up with previous requests. This means that even stable amd64 users are
20 >affected to some extent by ppc being slow to stabilize.
21
22 Plus the usual mess of having to keep up with multiple large stablereqs for stuff where we need to stabilize newer while some arches are still two stabilizations behind.
23
24 Not to mention when we want to stabilize a new version but the arches still haven't even keyworded it...
27 >Cheers,
28 >
29 >Dirkjan
33 Best regards,