From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] WARNING: XFS and -mjc3 don't play nice
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 00:19:39
1 Unfortunately, XFS doesn't seem to get along with the -mjc3 patch in
2 kernel 2.4.18-pre3, which results some likelihood (not a guarantee, but
3 it is possible) of filesystem data corruption. Therefore, if anyone is
4 using XFS with 2.4.18-pre3, please downgrade to 2.4.16 as soon as
5 possible. All other filesystems should be unaffected by this problem.
6
7 I'm currently contacting Steve Lord at SGI to see if he would be willing
8 to support the -mjc kernel as well as the -linus kernel. And I will also
9 be putting together a filesystem stress test suite that will be used to
10 test filesystem robustness before we unmask a kernel on Portage.
11 Hopefully, this should minimize the possibility of this type of thing
12 occuring in the future. Apologies to all those inconvenienced or
13 affected by this bad kernel interaction.
14
15 Note: until I get XFS removed from our -mjc3 kernel, our 2.4.18-pre3
16 kernels are now masked.
17
18 Best Regards,
21 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>