From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr vs. initramfs redux
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 00:44:25
1 Hi,
2
3 my knowledge of booting from an initramfs is limited right now, so keep
4 that in mind. However, I will attempt to answer some of your questions.
5
6 On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 10:06:48PM +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
7 > I'm all in favor of documenting what an initramfs does (or at least what it
8 > is supposed to do), how it works, how to create one, how to debug issues
9 > while booting with one, etc.
10 >
11 > That said, I'm a bit hesitant to describing that we "recommend" it
12 > regardless of the situation. What is wrong with describing when? At least
13 > inform our users that the udev rules have evolved to more than just "detect
14 > and mknod" scripts and that they are now relying on files and binaries
15 > available in other locations, like /usr and /var.
16
17 It looks like the situation where we will have to have one is if /usr
18 and /var are not on the same file system as /, because of how udev has
19 evolved.
20
21 > How does the tool that creates an initramfs know which files to copy from
22 > /usr and /var anyhow?
23
24 My understanding is that nothing gets copied from /usr and /var, and it
25 doesn't have to.
26
27 Here is my basic understanding of how the boot sequence works:
28
29 1) rootfs is mounted on /. Rootfs contains the contents of the
30 initramfs.
31 2) the init program inside the initramfs is run.
32 3) This init program will mount the real /usr and /var.
33 4) This init program will then mount the real root on top of rootfs.
34 (there is a call that does this, but I'll need to look that up again). I
35 vaguely remember reading that you don't mount the real root on /newroot
36 then pivet_root as mentioned earlier in this thread; I think that is
37 part of the old initrd method.
38 5) This init program will now run /sbin/init or which ever init program
39 the user wants to run.
40
41 > Also, how well does this play with all our profiles (so not only the popular
42 > architectures)? What about SELinux and/or grSecurity's RBAC model? Are these
43 > supported throughout the initramfs?
44
45 This one I can't answer.
46
47 Regards,