From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Working Group established to evaluate the stable tree
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 19:13:23
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 02:33:52PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I'm fine with maintainers de-keywording packages on their own
3 > initiative. However, if a maintainer hasn't even built a package on
4 > an arch, they shouldn't be stabilizing it on that arch. That would
5 > make the concept of stable meaningless. If it is just ~arch plus a
6 > time delay, then we should just get rid of the stable keywords and
7 > instead have portage just filter packages by the date they were
8 > committed to ~arch.
9
10 ok, this makes sense.
11
12 > I'd rather see maintainers just yank the last stable package and break
13 > the depgraph and let the arch teams deal with the cleanup than have
14 > them mark stuff stable without any testing at all. Or build a script
15 > that does the keyword cleanup for them. De-keywording late stable
16 > requests is a solution that is self-correcting. As packages are
17 > reduced from the stable set then there are fewer stable requests and
18 > the arch team is better able to focus on the ones they deem important.
19 > Throwing more packages in stable that aren't actually stable just
20 > makes that problem worse, and destroys whatever value the stable
21 > keyword had on the arch. For small arch teams they really should be
22 > focusing their time on core packages.
23
24 Rich, This was my original thinking about this issue. It turned out to
25 be more controversial than I originally thought -- folks told me that
26 stable tree users expect stability above all, so breaking the depgraph
27 is unacceptable, so I'm just trying to find something that is more
28 palletable.
29
30 I have a few bugs right now where I haven't done this because I know it
31 is going to require "repoman commit --force" to work, and set of our ci
32 alarms etc. Should I not care about that and just let the arch teams
33 clean it up?
34
35 William