From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Was: Getting Important Updates To Users)
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:49:33
1 On Friday 04 November 2005 23:26, Xavier Neys wrote:
2 > Nathan L. Adams wrote:
3 > > One source: http://errata.gentoo.org/
4 > >
5 > > Push that out to as many alternate sources as you like (RSS feeds,
6 > > summaries in emerge --news, forums post, etc.), but make it known that
7 > > the website is *the* source (your alternate sources should point back to
8 > > it).
9 >
10 > I beg to differ. The tree should be the central point because it's the only
11 > known place where all users can receive relevant information on and for
12 > each and every system they maintain right before they upgrade.
13 > The warning and the logic that triggers its display should be part of
14 > Portage. Sometimes, all that would need to be displayed is "run foo to fix
15 > bar" or "Please do read http://bleh _before_ you upgrade foo".
16 >
17 > If an "Upgrade guide to foo/bar for Gentoo" is required, you need an author
18 > to write it, not extra code or an extra web site.
19
20 I probably shouldn't have included the sarcastic comment in my only other
22 under the mistaken impression that the ebuild tree is required to use
23 portage. This is wrong and will become more and more wrong as time goes by.
24
25 If there is not a specific need for this news stuff to go into the tree then
26 it shouldn't be there. If there is a specific need (ie. it is tied to
27 packages) what difference is there to the existing ChangeLog?
30 Jason Stubbs
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list