From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinions Wanted - Arrays again :)
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:45:31
1 On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 06:16 -0400, Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > If there is some problem with this suggestion feel free to shoot it full
3 > of holes, but how about something like:
4 >
5 > address_eth0="1.2.3.4"
6 > netmask_eth0="255.255.255.0"
7 > broadcast_eth0="1.2.3.255"
8 > gateway_eth0="1.2.3.1"
9 > network_eth0="1.2.3.0"
10 > hostname_eth0="mypc"
11 > options_eth0="bells and whistles"
12
13 How would you construct that if you wanted to add 5 addresses to the
14 interface?
15
16 > Without digging through the original source I'm not sure what everything
17 > else in that array is, but I think you get the picture. Instead of
18 > sticking all these parameters into a big array why not break them down
19 > into what they actually are used for? This should also make the code
20 > that actually reads back these variables a lot more readable - instead
21 > of wondering what the 5th field in the array is you would see something
22 > meaningful like "netmask".
23
24 We don't care what the actual options or values are, they are merely
25 passed to ifconfig. Basically we need the equivalent of doing this
26
27 ifconfig eth0 1.2.3.4 netmask 5.6.7.8 broadcast 1.2.3.4
28 ifconfig eth0 5.6.7.8 netmask 1.2.3.4 broadcast 5.6.7.8
29 ifconfig eth0 maybe some undocumented command
30
31 And we do this with a few other tools as well. Lets take a list of
32 preferred wireless AP's to connect to. How would you have that? As the
33 only invalid character in an SSID is a NULL (daft, but I didn't write
34 the specification)
35
36 Thanks
37