From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Initial python-r1.eclass & distutils-r1.eclass
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:18:59
1 On 09/30/2012 07:12 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > Back then, we found it hurt us (Bad marshalling data) when using
3 > binpkgs. Not sure if it still does today with Python 2.7. Somehow we
4 > reached a consensus with the Python maintainer at that time that cache
5 > stuff shouldn't be in VDB, also because it depends on system and perhaps
6 > Python version. Since embedded systems might not even want it (it's
7 > just cache afterall, wasting their sometimes precious disk space), it
8 > had to be out of the package contents for them as well.
9
10 They can use INSTALL_MASK="*.py[co]" if they need to. In portage we have
11 a default COLLISION_IGNORE="*.py[co]" setting, so that there are no
12 related issues with file collisions for *.py[co] if the user removes the
13 INSTALL_MASK setting later.
14 --
15 Thanks,
16 Zac