From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel compiles and you
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 14:03:44
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 07/05/2012 06:23 AM, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
5 >> The Linux kernel should not and really must not be built as root.
6 >> This is neither supported nor recommended nor tested by upstream.
7 >> You may recall there was a kernel build system bug which ran -rf /
8 >> which would be bad if you built as root.
9 >>
10 >> The administrator usually has a normal user account somewhere. Use
11 >> that to build.
14 > Maybe it's just the sysadmin in me, and being used to logging into
15 > hundreds of boxes where the only non-root accounts are dedicated to
16 > specifics apps which have specific reasons to limit their security
17 > access (nginx/etc), but the concept that simply compiling a kernel as
18 > root being a dangerous operation -- seems twisted. From a system
19 > reliability point of view, compiling a kernel should be something I
20 > can do on all boxes when if needed and the only account that I can
21 > ensure exists on all boxes is root.
22 >
23 > Still, I guess it makes sense from the perspective of the kernel
24 > developers and we're stuck with that, although -- the gloating over
25 > 'rm -rf' seems overdone.
26 >
27 > In any case, if we must go down this road..than the proper solution is
28 > to treat the kernel like any other security sensitive app. Create a
29 > new designated user for compiling kernels - call it 'kernel' and over
30 > time we'll grow used to it being on all boxes. We can adjust our
31 > automated kernel building scripts to su to the kernel user before
32 > issuing make commands/etc and the makefile can terminate abnormally if
33 > it detects it is being run from any other user than 'kernel'.
36 portage already has a portage user which is used to build (or pretty
37 much do) everything else if you set FEATURES="userpriv usersync
38 usersandbox" so do we really need a kernel user to build the kernel? How
39 about a kde user to build kde? I for one do not need a new user on my
40 system every time I want to build something new. For all I care, build
41 as nobody, but adding a kernel user is ridiculous.
42
43 - -Zero
44