From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Making dobin, doexe, doins, doman, dodoc die by default
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:10:58
1 On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 20:49 +0200, Sven Köhler wrote:
2 > Well, but some people here claim, that the ebuilds are not tested that
3 > much, before they go into portage. Well, that's another decision: what
4 > should gentoo's quality be like?
5
6 Actually, it was more a discussion of older ebuilds. If I put an ebuild
7 into the tree today, using one of the eclasses that uses lots of "do*"
8 stuff and relies on it not being an error condition today, then the
9 change is made at a later date, how am I going to know that my ebuild
10 suddenly broke? As you can guess, the answer is "when you get a bug
11 report" which definitely isn't the optimal answer.
12
13 I'm refraining from the "quality" discussion simply because we're pretty
14 well aware that we have two pretty distant camps within Gentoo these
15 days and I'd prefer not start another of the "stable vs. ricer" threads
16 while I'm busy working on release stuff... :P
19 Chris Gianelloni
20 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
21 x86 Architecture Team
22 Games - Developer