From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gcc-3.4 migration guide
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:29:52
1 Well done, i've allready switched completely to gcc-3.4 with my main box
2 by reemerging about 650 packages. However, i allready started doing so a
3 few days ago, so I didn't read the official migration guide before
4 starting. Now, as everything works fine i just read this guide to
5 compair it with my own experiences as more or less simple user.
6
7 There are two things i have to critisize:
8
9 1.) If you remove gcc-3.3* before emerge -e system you will be left
10 behind with a broken python and therefore emerge. Thus i think there
11 should be a big red box telling users about this.
12
13 2.) emerge -e world on a system with lot of packages will most likley
14 fail somewhere during the process for various reasons. Fixig the problem
15 (for example by unmerging the package which causes it) and restarting
16 the process is not an option, as this may cost you lot's of time. In my
17 case, emerge -e world stopped 3 times. To continiue without starting it
18 all again, i did
19
20 # emerge --resume -p > package.list
21
22 and then edited this file with vi so that
23
24 # emerge --oneshot --nodeps `cat package.list`
25
26 continued the process, leafing out the brocken package. The be honest, i
27 expected to find some freaky sed command to accomplish what i did with
28 vi (thanks to the makro recorder) in the gcc-3.4 migration guide.
29
30 Have a nice day !
31 Matthias
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list