From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel Dependency Question
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:50:42
1 Sean Mitchell wrote:
2 >
3 > Wondering how the dependencies work for this situation....
4 >
5 > If I install linux-sources-xxxxx and then build myself a kernel, it seems
6 > that any package that requires linux-kernel-xxxxx goes ahead and installs
7 > it.
8 >
9 > It seems to me that the sources should (once compiled) give me eveything the
10 > kernel package gives me. Is this the case or am I missing something? I
11 > suppose I could change the deps in the ebuild but it would be better if
12 > there was some sort of global override. I RTFM but didn't see anything that
13 > explained this to me.
16 All packages should depend on virtual/kernel which is provided by linux
17 and linux-sources.
18 But only linux and linux-extras provide virtual/alsa which is required
19 by some packages.
20 So you must install linux-extras after you builded and installed your
21 kernel.
22
23 bye achim~
24
25 > Sean
26 >
28 > Sean Mitchell Software Engineer
29 > smitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com Phoenix Interactive Design Inc
30 > tel. 519-679-2913 x237 4th Floor, 137 Dundas St
31 > fax. 519 679 6773 London, ON, Canada N6A 1E9
32 > ICQ# 104246806
36 > gentoo-dev mailing list
37 > gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org