From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default USE changes for fortran and mudflap?
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 08:40:59
1 El dom, 12-01-2014 a las 09:24 +0100, Michał Górny escribió:
2 > Dnia 2014-01-12, o godz. 01:53:47
3 > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 > > fortran:
6 > > Do we want to keep enabling fortran by default? The majority of users will
7 > > never get the urge to install a fortran package, and the fortran eclass handles
8 > > those that do. I think it should be treated as all the other optional
9 > > languages and disabled by default, but I'd like to know if there are other
10 > > opinions.
11 >
12 > Well, I'd say we should work on making 'other languages' buildable
13 > without rebuilding the whole giant gcc stack. Especially that
14 > the stacked build makes it impossible to use distcc at least partially.
17 I was also wondering about what we prefer if Michal's suggestion is not
18 possible:
19 - Build support for other langs by default -> More time when we need to
20 emerge gcc or update it but less time as we don't need to rebuild for
21 that (I remember when I needed to build pdftk and needed to wait for a
22 gcc rebuild giving gcj support)
23 - Build support for other langs disabled by default -> Well, does it
24 save so much time to compensate the rebuilds we would need to do in the
25 future when we need to emerge some package some time?