From: "@.4u" <4u@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Alternative?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 08:40:26
1 Hi again
2
3 as written below I think it makes more sense for Project sunrise to redefine
4 it a bit. It seems to be clear that currently noone is happy with the
5 Sunrise Project.
6
7 There is one huge disadvantage for end users like me:
8 If we decide to use an overlay package (because "we" need / want the
9 functionality) we have to make sure from time to time that this one is up to
10 date.
11
12 BTW: This is not only time consuming but also inefficient.
13
14 Where is the difference to BMG? Two things:
15 a) Official development support (note: not an official overlay).
16 b) One overlay per development (team) project instead of an huge overlay
17 with maybe breaking stuff.
18
19 This is a different approach than the one of BMG:
20 "We want to provide unstable ebuilds, which have no chance to get into
21 portage."
22
23 How about this alternative:
24
25 Use sunrise (as stated earlier) as an "help me"-mailing list or whatever for
26 users who may want to become developers. Provide RSS feeds (as stated below
27 - a good idea I think) for end users.
28
29 How should it work (new dev view):
30 - A user want to add application (x) to portage. He creates a overlay and
31 uses bugzilla and so on.
32 - He is interested in adding his ebuild (or program (x)) permanently to
33 portage.
34 - This user requests help and support from the sunrise developers. The
35 guidelines say, that he should provide a RSS feed to inform users about new
36 versions of program (x) for Gentoo.
37
38 Why should he provide an overlay? Because it's easier for testing purposes
39 than downloading maybe a whole bunch of files from bugzilla.
40
41 How should it work (the sunrise project view):
42 - Sunrise works like an planet site. It scans the RSS feeds in specific
43 time intervals and add new entries to its own DB.
44 - Sunrise contains a DB for locations of overlays and contact details.
45 - Sunrise will provide functions for users to search on it (like
46 packages.gentoo.org) and to find information where the overlay is
47 located.
48
49 How should it work (sunrise dev view):
50 - The developer finds out that a new version of the ebuild exists. He
51 reviews the ebuild and gives feedback to the developer.
52 - He uses contact details that the "taker" used to register at sunrise.
53
54 How should it work (end users view):
55 - Load a RSS feed into your favorite RSS viewer and you're done. Of course
56 you still have to use layman or whatever to update the overlays manually. Is
57 there a way to integrate this functionality into emerge --sync?
58
59 Advantages:
60 - Easy to search and up to date DB for custom Gentoo overlays
61 - Helpful information and feedback from Gentoo developers.
62 - Learning by doing approach.
63
64 Disadvantages:
65 - Still different places all over the net for overlays.
66 - Possibility that two teams create ebuilds for the same program.
67 - Different development forms. Somehow there have to be a way that third
68 parties provide improved ebuilds.
69 - Maybe complicated rules: After x days inactivity, the project should be
70 given to new takers and so on.
71
72 What do you think?
73
74 Best regards
75
76 PS.: This is just an early idea. Maybe you will find some not logical points
77 here or things that already exist in the www ...
78
79 Edward Catmur writes:
80