From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-lang/python: ChangeLog python-2.6.ebuild python-2.5.2-r6.ebuild
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 05:16:45
1 В Срд, 15/10/2008 в 20:51 +0100, Steve Long пишет:
2 > >> for ((i=0;i<100000;i++)); do echo /usr/share/doc/${P}/examples >
3 > >> /dev/null;
4 > >
5 > >> real 11.25
6 > >
7 > >> real 9.24
8 > >
9 > > So that's what, on the order of 20 microseconds faster for each iteration?
10 > >
11 > Or ~18%. (You shouldn't use the first iteration in general, btw.)
12
13 Steve, your example only tests how much time bash takes to parse string.
14 It's obvious that in quoted strings some expansions could be avoided and
15 thus bash works faster. But although ebuilds use bash syntax they are
16 interpreted not only by bash - the time to parse stings is negligible to
17 other activities. I have not calculated but made a rough estimation
18 taking into account the number of ebuilds in the tree. So I think we
19 have of order of 10^6 string. This means that during merge of all
20 packages we'll win 10 seconds. I don't think it's worth to consider this
21 gain.
22
23 So in portage tree this is the matter of style. That's said, since
24 personally I don't have any preference on this style and until there
25 will be arguments not to use this style I'll start to use full quotation
26 of the strings.
27
28 And yes, in pure bash programs possibly this'll make sense.
31 Peter.