From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies default to accept any slot value acceptable (:*), can we default to :0 instead?
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 21:54:57
1 Dnia 2013-12-08, o godz. 20:26:44
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 21:21:52 +0100
5 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > The PMS describes package manager behavior required to support an
7 > > > ebuild repository. If I read the PMS correctly, SLOT-less
8 > > > dependencies have undefined behavior; this makes it so that if you
9 > > > have a different package manager using the same ebuild repository,
10 > > > it could interpret the dependencies completely different.
11 > >
12 > > Nothing undefined here. A dependency without a slot means that all
13 > > slot values are acceptable. And all package managers interpret it in
14 > > the same way.
15 >
16 > Actually, Paludis interprets a lack of slot dependency as a "don't
17 > know", and assumes that it might be unsafe to switch slots at runtime
18 > in these cases.
19
20 So we should basically encourage people to explicitly state ':*' when
21 they mean that, correct? Because I can tell you that right now many
22 people don't use that because they see it as redundant.
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny