From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [Summary] GLEP 41: Making Arch Testers official Gentoo Staff
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:42:11
1 Homer Parker posted <1126570815.10578.13.camel@localhost>, excerpted
2 below, on Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:20:15 -0500:
3
4 > On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 15:55 +0900, Chris White wrote:
5 >> So basically, Simon wants arch testers to become official devs (with
6 >> limited
7 >> restrictions). They've taken the staff quiz already, and he wants them
8 >> to be
9 >> officially @gentoo.org-ified and _read only_ access to the portage tree.
10 >> If
11 >> they want read/write access they do the usual stuff to become a dev and
12 >> all
13 >> is happy.
14 >
15 > Minor clarification, they currently take the ebuild.quiz.. We're
16 > working on one more QA/testing related.. Which of course will go before
17 > everyone to be kicked around before implementing.
18
19 This relates to the voting question as well. I'm looking at being an AT,
20 but am taking it slow (HP would probably say glacial, at this point =8^).
21 [1] Looking at the quiz, there's a *LOT* on there about the organization
22 and stuff that I really hadn't expected. This would be good for voting,
23 but IMO, ATs really shouldn't need /either/ all the org questions /or/
24 voting privs. As someone else mentioned, one of the reasons ATs decide
25 /not/ to become devs is because they aren't interested in all the
26 organizational politics involved.
27
28 So... I'd say scrap at least some of the organizational questions (in the
29 new AT quiz), and by the same standard, do NOT allow ATs to vote. It's a
30 fairly short step from AT to dev for those that want it, for voting or
31 tree level write access anyway, and I don't believe the AT role needs
32 voting privs.
33
34 Gentoo mail addresses would be a nice touch. Official would be nice,
35 whether that means "staff" (perhaps specifically defined in the GLEP as
36 staff without voting privs, if the above is taken), or
37 officially-recognized non-staff, doesn't matter to me, anyway (it might to
38 some ATs). RO (no write needed or indeed wanted, here) tree access would
39 likely be the most useful feature being proposed, however, as I've already
40 bumped into that "impatient waiting" problem with rsync, and I'm not even
41 doing serious AT type testing as yet.
42
43 [1] It's worth noting that "slow but steady" is a defining characteristic
44 of my personality. It took me 3 months to switch to Linux, and another
45 three to switch to Gentoo, after I'd decided to go for it. In both cases,
46 however, there was no going back, and I had and practiced the knowledge
47 many others take years to build. Likewise with AT, it's taking me months
48 to get there, but I expect I'll be good at it when I get there, and likely
49 stay AT for a year, maybe two or more, before I even consider full dev, if
50 I do so at all.
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
56 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
60 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list