From: Rufiao Valhacouto <rufiao@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] stage4?
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:45:10
1 Following the announce of Gentoo 1.2 cds, I've just created a [meta]
2 stage4 tarball to evaluate how big it would be to accommodate xfree,
3 fluxbox, mozilla, xchat, links, ircssi, nvi, gpm and gentoolkit to help
4 people have a graphic environment and/or access to www and irc in the
5 setup process (as stated by Faust Tanasescu in a later post). The
6 resulting stage4 tarball was about 100M larger than the stage3 one. A CD
7 with stage1 (ix86), stage2 (ix86, i586, i686), stage3 (i586, i686) and
8 stage4 (i586, i686) would take less than 800M (in the case it can't fit
9 on a CD, one of the stage4 versions could be stripped).
10
11 I've installed the packages right over a chroot with
12 stage3-i[56]86-1.3a.tbz2, export USE="-gnome -java" (to avoid mozilla
13 install a JVM and xchat install gnome dependencies) and emerge xfree
14 fluxbox mozilla xchat links ircssi nvi gpm gentoolkit
15
16 Do you think it's a good thing to provide such stage4 tarball
17 officially?