From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Implicit system dependency
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 19:30:35
1 On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 10:03:27 -0800 Zac Medico wrote:
2 [...]
3 > >> Sorry Zac, I posted my reply before I read this. This is essentially
4 > >> the point I was making. However, I think this will be cumbersome. With
5 > >> the current way we do things, its easy to delete packages from @system
6 > >> by just doing '-*sys-apps/man-pages' (for example) in a profile's
7 > >> packages file. It is not so easy to delete from a DEPEND string, so I
8 > >> foresee some tricky if logic here.
9 > >
10 > > There is another drawback of using virtuals instead of @system set.
11 > > For old systems (in practical terms they are systems not updated
12 > > @world for more than several month) it is wise to update kernel,
13 > > @system and only afterwards whole @world.
14 > >
15 > > Virtuals will not catch updates in underlying packages if --deep is
16 > > not used and it can't be used, because some packages from @system
17 > > may indirectly depend on packages from @world (e.g. cairo, qt or
18 > > xorg) which will trigger half of the @world update with -D @system
19 > > which makes it impossible and impractical to use -D @system before
20 > > full @world update on old setups.
21 > >
22 > > We already have this problem with virtua/libc: it is not updated at
23 > > all, so when I run emerge -uav @system for the purposes described
24 > > above I have to manually add sys-devel/glibc to the list.
25 >
26 > There was a time long ago when portage actually behaved the way you want
27 > here. I implemented the behavior myself, but then I changed it to the
28 > way it is now because others complained that "virtuals should behave
29 > just like normal packages." We could certainly add an emerge option
30 > which would trigger the behavior that you want.
31
32 If this switch will be available, it would be great! And in such
33 case I don't mind for system->virtual switch for my profiles.
34 Moreover it would be great to have this switch even now to avoid
35 "glibc not updated with @system" issues.
36
37 Best regards,
38 Andrew Savchenko