From: Tuan Van <langthang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] einfo / ewarn banners and die messages
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:38:59
1 Georgi Georgiev wrote:
2
3 >maillog: 11/11/2004-22:02:30(-0800): Tuan Van types
6 >>And there are ebuilds that do*, in*, new* without die. The ebuild will
7 >>emerged successfully with the missing file(s).
8 >>Oh, who is glark?
12 >Shouldn't do*, in*, new* die on a failure?
16 I guess you didn't watch close enough while emerging ;) There are
17 several times, I saw something such "can not stat foo: no such file or
18 directory". Sure, with dodoc or dohtml, missing a COPYING, README don't
19 do any harm but missing a startup script, a configure file when you do
20 something as:
21 insinto /etc/foo
22 newins ${FILESDIR}/bar.conf bar
23 when bar.conf doesn't exist (say you forgot to commit it). The ebuild
24 will merged without a configure file without anyone notice right away.
25 Now, go emerge samba-3.0.8 to see for yourself (just something I saw
26 recently that I can remember). It will finishes even though there isn't
27 a libnss_wins.so in source when you build it without winbind USE flag.
28 doexe ${S}/source/nsswitch/libnss_wins.so
29 If we have "doexe ${S}/source/nsswitch/libnss_wins.so || die "doexe
30 libnss_wins.so failed", we could have caught that very early.
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list