From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: stable gcc 5.4.0 ??
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 18:26:29
1 > It is stable. Even there are open bugs, arches started stabilizing it.
2
3 Is gcc-5.4.0 built "--with-default-libstdcxx-abi=gcc4-compatible"?
4 On the Pale Moon linux sub-forum, there were crashing issues with the
5 contributed Ubuntu build when Ubuntu switched to gcc 5. The maintainer
6 of the Ubuntu Pale Moon build had to drop back to gcc 4.9 to fix the
7 crashes.
8
9 At home, for personal use, I build Pale Moon with a manually built
10 version of gcc 5.4.0. Pale Moon has been rock solid for me on Gentoo
11 and on a refurbished Lenovo T400 running Puppy Linux. The option
12 "--with-default-libstdcxx-abi=gcc4-compatible" may be the reason it
13 works for me.
14
15 This may be valid for other applications, too. I think the problem is
16 that you need the entire system to be one of...
17
18 "--with-default-libstdcxx-abi=new" or
19
20 "--with-default-libstdcxx-abi=gcc4-compatible"
21
22 Mixing together does not seem to work.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications