From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] You currently cannot smoothly upgrade a 4 months old Gentoo system
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 19:49:04
1 Am Mittwoch, 3. November 2021, 16:03:37 CET schrieb Thomas Deutschmann:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > it is currently not possible to smoothly run a world upgrade on a 4
5 > months old system which doesn't even have a complicated package list:
6 >
7 [snip]
8
9 Yup. We know. It's actually way worse than you describe [*] and was
10 noticed already quite some time ago. Unfortunately this is a situation
11 that can IMHO not be easily fixed, and we can only strive to do it
12 better next time.
13
14 The mistake was to allow the use of EAPI=8 too early. In the future, we
15 should have a new EAPI supported by portage for at least some months
16 before the EAPI is even used in the main tree. Not even speaking about
17 stable here.
18
19 From there on all the trouble cascades. And no, disallowing a new EAPI
20 for only a part of the tree does not help. (Which part?)
21
22 An alternative, which we should seriously consider (and which I've been
23 advocating for several months now) is to make Portage more robust, so
24 it can more easily upgrade itself, and keep the Portage ebuild at old
25 EAPI. This means,
26 * making Portage independent of the python eclasses, so it runs as long
27 as any python3 interpreter exists
28 * and bundling all Python dependencies it needs for functioning in it
32 [*] Of course there are ways around this to upgrade the system. However,
33 that is not the point. It should work out of the box.
36 Andreas K. Hüttel
37 dilfridge@g.o
38 Gentoo Linux developer
39 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)