From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: lxnay@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Application name in metadata.xml
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:26:19
1 On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:00:38 +0100
2 Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I think this is not the first time it's been discussed here, but maybe
5 > I'm wrong.
6 > Other distros associate a more user-friendly package name (application
7 > name) to packages.
8 > Say, they bind libreoffice-writer to "LibreOffice Writer" in package
9 > metadata.
10 >
11 > How about expanding metadata.xml (adding to its .dtd) to also support
12 > this? It would be nice to show this info in GUI package managers
13 > instead of the actual, and ugly (for the newbies), CP or CPV.
14 > It would be just a small addition that would make a big diff.
15
16 I think we already expand the name in DESCRIPTION whenever it is
17 ambiguous.
18
19 Could you please mention some Gentoo examples which would benefit from
20 the proposed change?
23 Best regards,
24 Michał Górny