From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev-announce <gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] manifest-hashes changing to 'BLAKE2B SHA512' on 2017-11-21
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 17:47:53
1 On Wednesday, November 15, 2017, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > The Council has approved the manifest-hashes switch on 2017-11-12
5 > meeting [1]. The transition will occur to the initial plan, with small
6 > changes. The updated plan is included at the end of this mail.
7 >
8 > According to this plan, BLAKE2B will be enabled on 2017-11-21. This
9 > means that starting at this time, all new and updated DIST entries will
10 > use BLAKE2B+SHA512. Old DIST entries will still use the current hash set
11 > until updated.
12 >
13 > The developers are required to upgrade to a package manager supporting
14 > this hash. That is:
15 >
16 > a. Portage 2.3.5 when using py3.6+,
17 >
18 > b. Portage 2.3.13 + pyblake2 installed manually,
19 >
20 > c. Portage 2.3.13-r1 that includes the pyblake2 dep.
21 >
22 > Modern (and old) Portage will refuse to update Manifests if it does not
23 > support the necessary hashes. However, Portage versions between 2.3.5
24 > and 2.3.13 inclusively will create Manifests missing BLAKE2B hash rather
25 > than failing when no hash provider is present. Those Manifests will be
26 > rejected by the git hook.
27 >
28 > Users will not be affected noticeably as the SHA512 hash continues being
29 > used for compatibility.
32 > That said, I'd like to request developers not to start proactively
33 > converting all old Manifest entries to the new set immediately,
34 > and instead give some time for things to settle down.
38 > The updated plan
39 > ================
40 >
41 > Already done:
42 >
43 > - revbumped Portage with pyblake2 dep and started stabilizing it,
44 >
45 > - added git update hook to reject invalid Manifest entries.
46 >
47 > 2017-11-21 (T+7d):
48 >
49 > - manifest-hashes = BLAKE2B SHA512
50 >
51 > 2018-02-14 (T+3m):
52 >
53 > - manifest-required-hashes = BLAKE2B
54 >
55 > 2018-05-14 (T+6m):
56 >
57 > - last rite fetch-restricted packages that do not use BLAKE2B.
58 >
59 > The final removal of SHA512 will be decided by the Council separately.
62 Does the existence of a decision mean I would need to contact the trustees
63 if I feel the changes have not been adequately justified?
64
65 Respectfully,
66 R0b0t1