From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc-2.26 and changes with SunRPC, libtirpc, ntirpc, libnsl (NIS and friends), ...
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 12:28:42
1 On 18/09/17 10:56, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > So glibc-2.26 is already out for some time, but we still haven't keyworded it
3 > yet. Why?
4 >
5 > * I want to use the opportunity to make the long-delayed switchover from
6 > glibc-internal SunRPC (long deprecated and outdated) to external
7 > implementations (libtirpc, and possibly ntirpc).
8 >
9 > * The (outdated and deprecated) NIS(YP) and NIS+ support (libnsl) has been
10 > removed from glibc (except for a compatibility library that doesnt install
11 > headers), and is now provided by net-libs/libnsl (increased soversion).
12 >
13 > This mail is mainly about how to best structure the transition.
14 > Comments, suggestions, corrections, feedback welcome.
15 >
16 > 1) About RPC.
17 >
18 > AFACIS there are three implementations:
19 > a) SunRPC, headers in /usr/include, code provided by glibc
20 > b) net-libs/libtirpc, headers in /usr/include/libtirpc, library -l tirpc
21 > c) (?) net-libs/ntirpc, headers in /usr/include/ntirpc, library -l ntirpc
22 >
23 > Option a) is going away with sys-libs/glibc-2.26-r1.
24 > Options b) and c) may in addition need headers from net-libs/rpcsvc-proto
25 > I haven't done any testing with c) yet, will do so.
26 > a), b), and c) are co-installable.
27 >
28 > My suggestion for an ideal implementation would be that any package that uses
29 > RPC defines useflags:
30 > sunrpc - build against glibc
31 > libtirpc - build against net-libs/libtirpc
32 > ntirpc - build against net-libs/ntirpc
33 > with
34 > REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( sunrpc libtirpc ntirpc )"
35 > If rpc support is optional with useflag rpc, then this becomes
36 > REQUIRED_USE="rpc? ( ^^ ( sunrpc libtirpc ntirpc ) )"
37 >
38 > Since the three options are coinstallable I see no problems with a package
39 > only supporting a subset, but I have no clue how this interacts at runtime.
40 >
41 > Of course this "ideal option" is also the most work-intensive.
42 <snip>
43
44 Would a virtual help any? Probably overlooking a good number of factors,
45 but wasn't mentioned yet ...
46
47 MJE