From: Nicholas Jones <carpaski@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] 2004.3 - Portage snapshot
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:25:17
1 Vapier:
2 >>>so we're pushing for 2.0.51 to get out of rc and into final ?
3
4 Carpaski:
5 >> I'm looking at it for the end of this week. Only one tiny bug
6 >> left of which we are aware. (rsync being dumb)
7
8 Ramereth:
9 > I know I'm being picky and what not, but could it be possible
10 > to have an email sent to -dev detailing the major changes
11 > between .50 and .51?
12
13 /var/cache/edb/virtuals is gone. It's calculated from the tree.
14 Users can affect portage via /etc/portage/virtuals, but it is
15 probably not going to be used/needed by 99.9% of users.
16
17 WORLD HAS MOVED. It's in /var/lib/portage/world now. Should
18 something bad happen, all reasonably recent versions of portage
19 have /usr/lib/portage/bin/regenworld which can rebuild it.
20
21 Lockfiles are created for a lot of things now. Parallel instances
22 of fetching and merging are fine at this point. We have to add
23 in locks on the working directories and then portage should have
24 no more self-destructive phases.
25
26 FEATURES="candy" makes the spinner cooler. :-p
27
28 Profiles have a package.mask for ARCHITECTURE related masking.
29 There must be an explicitly defined reason for using this file
30 in any particular way. It is NOT a general-use file. It is for
31 specific instances that involve incompatibilities between libs
32 and specific profiles.
33
34 For rsync users: 'emerge metadata' rebuilds the cache from the
35 pre-generated cache. This is useful after portage updates and
36 webrsync as the cache is invalidated. This is the process at
37 the tail end of a 'sync' operation.
38
39 A lot of lockup and circular code issues are resolved now.
40
41 Cascading profiles work as everyone has decided they should.
42
43 Random exceptions are cleaned up. Errors should be reported
44 slightly better than before.
45
46 Update based on useflag changes: emerge -uD --newuse world -pv
47
48 Initial GPG verification support.
49
50 Better blocker handling. (Consequently more blockers)
51
52 Passive/Active FTP is a configurable option for binary downloads.
53
54 Profile bashrc.
55
56 That covers the most recent 650 lines of the changelog. Most of
57 the rest is cleanup from 2.0.50.
58
59 Questions?
60