From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:38:12
1 On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 05:27:46PM +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:28:29 +0000, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > > On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > >> As a user, I still think this could turn into a real mess. ??I think
8 > there
9 > >> will be quite a few that will see python being updated, run
10 > python-updater
11 > >> and switch it to the new python. ??At that point, it is going to hit the
12 > fan.
13 > >> ??I know because this is what I always do. ??News item or not, when
14 > python
15 > >> gets updated, I run python-updater and make sure it is selected.
16
17 If you don't bother reading news items or messages from packages, there
18 is nothing we can do. I don't feel that this is an excuse for holding
19 up stabilization.
20
21 > * Messages for package dev-lang/python-3.1.2:
22 >
23 > *
24 > * WARNING!
25 > * Many Python modules haven't been ported yet to Python 3.*.
26 > * Python 3 hasn't been activated and Python wrapper is still configured
27 > to use Python 2.
28 > * You can manually activate Python 3.1 using `eselect python set
29 > python3.1`.
30 > * It is recommended to currently have Python wrapper configured to use
31 > Python 2.
32 > * Having Python wrapper configured to use Python 3 is unsupported.
33
34 The message above looks pretty clear to me. It works, but don't make it
35 the default. Having it marked "stable" and being able to use it as the
36 default python are two separate things, and the maintainer is making it
37 very clear in this message that it can't be the default python.
38
39 William