From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 16:00:52
1 On 4 April 2010 16:33, AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > I'd like to ask what you think in launching a site that simply clones an
3 > existing site is? Why take all the hard work the editors have put into
4 > their articles on the unofficial wiki and duplicate them on another
5 > site, creating TWO copies, both of which may be updated with different
6 > information.
7
8 Starting a wiki under the Gentoo umbrella is not about duplicating
9 effort. It is about providing services that we currently don't and
10 for which there is an apparent need.
11
12 First and foremost it is about providing developers a place for easy
13 (collaborative) editing of documents, so they wouldn't have to resort
14 to either less practical solutions within gentoo.org, or external
15 resources not under gentoo.org.
16
17 Secondly, this would be a good place to centralize efforts by both
18 users and developers to collaborate on generating, consolidating and
19 maintaining documentation. Currently these are scattered over a
20 number of places, as Dror has mentioned. We do not want to duplicate
21 effort, but work together to bring the various efforts as much as
22 possible into one place, a one-stop shop for all good and relevant
23 information about Gentoo.
24
25 > any site I find copying articles I've
26 > contributed to (and certainly the ones I wrote from scratch) will suffer
27 > all the wrath and abuse I can bring to it.
28
29 Then you shouldn't contribute to a wiki that has a license that
30 allows just that.
31
32 > An official wiki should not be used to duplicate the existing unofficial
33 > wiki (and I don't believe this is the intent of the developers who want
34 > one).
35
36 Not duplicate, but centralize and facilitate more collaboration. And
37 give it more recognition and better quality control. And host it on
38 the number one community site we have: gentoo.org, with all the
39 infrastructure support that entails.
40
41 Cheers,
42 --
43 Ben de Groot
44 Gentoo Linux Qt project lead developer