From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] POSIX capability in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:44:12
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 A couple of days ago, bonsaikitten (Patrick), kerframil (Kerin Millar)
4 and myself were talking about other distros moving away from setuid
5 binaries towards caps. Openwall and Fedora are now setuid-less [1].
6 Some googling showed that Constanze has done quite a bit of work in the
7 area and that there was a consensus to include functions to set caps
8 within portage [2]. I don't know what, if anything has been done since
9 then, but I'd like to lend my support.
10
11 Ref
12 [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/420969/
13 [2] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/dev/226948
16 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
17 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
18 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
19 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
20 GnuPG ID : D0455535