From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] minor problems with _rc6
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 04:57:08
1 On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:49:03 +0200 (MEST) Frank Thieme
2 <fthieme@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > > Excellent distro. Here are a few minor problems.
5 > >
6 > > 1) Is there any way to avoid having messages from initialization
7 > bleed
8 > > through to the console after boot? When I boot, the first login
9 > > prompt is overlaid by "eth0: Setting half duplex ..." which is
10 > > apparently a late message from starting eth0. Some distros have
11 > this
12 > > problem; some don't.
13 > >
14 > > 2) After login and password (run level 3), I always get the
15 > following
16 > > two messages. Is this a new feature or a minor bug? The user
17 > logs in
18 > > normally.
19 > >
20 > > pam_group [n] : not opened
21 > > PAM_pwdb [n] : (login) session opened for user uuuuu by
22 > LOGIN(uid=0)
23 >
24 > Just the same problem, you need to run your favorite syslog daemon.
25 > Because
26 > no daemon is running all messages normally captured by it are
27 > displayed on
28 > /dev/console
31 Yes, and why didn't the bootstrap or emerge system install a script to
32 start a syslog daemon? There are no instructions for doing this
33 manually. How do I proceed?
36 Collins Richey
37 Denver Area
38 gentoo_rc6 xfce+sylpheed