From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2008 Google Summer of Code
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:25:00
1 On 1/29/08, joshua jackson <tsunam@g.o> wrote:
2 > George Prowse wrote:
3 > > Grant Goodyear wrote:
4 > >> Google has been hinting not-so-subtlely that there's going to be
5 > >> a 2008 Google Summer of Code. I expect that if we want to participate,
6 > >> we're going to have to have our ducks in a row by March, if not
7 > >> earlier.
8 > >>
9 > >> So, does Gentoo want to participate this year?
10 > >>
11 > >> If so, who's going to run it? Who's going to help? What are
12 > >> we going to do differently this year?
13 > >>
14 > >> I'll help if it's something people want to do, but I'd like to see
15 > >> some serious changes this year. I'd like us to only accept proposals
16 > >> that we actually think are quite good. In the past we've been told
17 > >> that we
18 > >> have N slots to fill, so we choose the best N proposals, despite the
19 > >> fact that we often only get a handful of exceptional proposals. I'd
20 > >> also like to see us require weekly public status reports from our
21 > >> students. Quick show of hands: how many people know how what any
22 > >> of our students accomplished last year? I doubt there are many,
23 > >> despite the fact that some good work was done last year.
24 > >>
25 > >> Thoughts? Comments?
26 > >>
27 > >> -g2boojum-
28 > >
29 > > How does the SoC work within Gentoo? Do the developers suggest things
30 > > they want worked on or do the users suggest things, the developers
31 > > okay it and then they get worked on or what?
32 > >
33 > > George
34 > To give a short answer, its a combination of projects suggested by
35 > developer and projects submitted by the students. They get reviewed by
36 > the User Rel/SOC Staff and put into an order of projects to submit to
37 > Google. They then decide which ones they approve of to fund for the
38 > students to work on.
41 Anyone can contribute 'ideas'. 'Ideas' are not proposals and
42 proposals are what (in the past) we have had to rank and fund. So if
43 your 'idea' doesn't get a competant proposal written by a student it
44 is not going to get funded, end of story.
45
46 > Ultimately its up to google to decide on the projects and how many get
47 > funded but we as the project have some say in the order they view them
48 > in. This year I'm hoping to get some decent projects that are attainable
49 > in the summer for students. We've had unfortunately some that have
50 > gotten fairly far but didn't get finished. This will also require
51 > mentors who work with the students who can help them succeed as well.
52 > Its something I'll be bringing up soon as well to discuss with the
53 > developer pool (as my understanding is that at least one mentor must be
54 > part of the project), doesn't eliminate mentors from the community but
55 > it'd be 2 instead of just one....
56
57 Google has no input on individual proposals that get funded; they just
58 fund N proposals for a given 'project' (that would be Gentoo for us).
59 I am unsure if we can involve the users in this process because I
60 don't think we have permission to post applications online.
61
62 Past experience has shown that the overwhelming majority of proposal
63 are terrible and won't get funded. Perhaps I can get permission from
64 some of our former students to present some 'good' proposals on the
65 soc webpage.
68 > I need to go over more details about it but would like to apply again as
69 > a project.
70 >
71 > --
72 > gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list