From: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Google SOC 2008
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:56:55
1 On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:29:15 +0100, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > Well... that's great! But a jail or a (ch)root is in general not the
4 > same as a "prefix".
5
6 No, but it's the same kettle of fish as chroots, jails and vps systems -
7 basically
8 there is a need to disable dependencies that provide what the host already
9 does.
10 We current have nojail for FreeBSD jails, novps for VServer/OpenVZ systems
11 and
12 a few others. I would be trivial to add another no for prefix :)
13
14 > I have to look more closely at what openrc does
15 > these days, but for the (ancient) version of baselayout we have in
16 > prefix now, I recall that:
17 > a) most of it didn't compile on Darwin and Solaris
18
19 It compiles and works on Linux/glibc/uclibc, FreeBSD-6 and NetBSD-4.
20 So it stands a fair chance of working on Darwin for sure.
21 I have no idea about Solaris, but it should work as it sports libkvm which
22 we
23 use to find processes.
24
25 > b) hence we only use basically the functions.sh script (hacked up)
26 > so what we need to have working is:
27 > ${EPREFIX}/etc/init.d/postgresql start
28 > and similar.
29 >
30 > And maybe even a sort of init-level stuff, such that one can start all
31 > services in the Prefix and stop them as well. That basically gets quite
32 > useful once Prefix goes "privileged" and you could start sshd, slapd,
33 > apache2, etc, etc. on privileged ports, and you really would like those
34 > to be started as well in some correct order (on e.g. Solaris).
35
36 If OpenRC compiles and /bin/sh points to a POSIX shell it should work as it
37 stands.
38 At present there is no need for the default interpreter to be changed, but
39 there may
40 be the need for Prefix.
41
42 Thanks