From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Last rites: www-plugins/gnash
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:25:58
1 Nikos Chantziaras posted on Sat, 05 Sep 2009 02:19:12 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 09/05/2009 01:24 AM, Robert Bradbury wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Is gnash still under development (as an open source alternative to
6 >> Adobe flash)?
7
8 TTBOMK [1], gnash is now a GNU sponsored project, one I believe they are
9 actually paying someone to spend some time on, now, after a free flash
10 alternative came up near the top of the priority list on a user poll they
11 did about three years ago. <a quick ggl:gnash later> Yes, gnash is a GNU
12 project, at least, tho I'm not sure on the paid developer status. The
13 latest release was 0.8.5_beta4, on March 3, this year:
14
15 http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
16
17 >> If so, then it would seem to make sense to keep the
18 >> plugin alive. Where does this all go with the evolution towards more
19 >> open media formats (HTML 3.x?). It is my impression currently that a
20 >> consensus could not be agreed upon for a "standard" open
21 >> non-proprietary format for audio/video files.
22
23 HTML 5.0, and you're impression is reasonably correct. Based on what
24 I've read, they settled on <audio> and <video> tags, but could not come
25 to agreement on specific codecs, because the FLOSS folks couldn't accept
26 a proprietary (patented) codec, and some of the others couldn't/wouldn't
27 accept the current state of open codecs, at least for video (audio I
28 believe they agreed on ogg-vorbis, but check before you rely on that). I
29 believe Nokia was on the proprietary side as they already had a license
30 for <whatever>, and theora wasn't in a state that would work well on
31 their cellphones and the like.
32
33 But that's changing, and a further HTML 5.1 version may well have a free
34 video codec as well. Combine that with some of the stuff that's already
35 possible in draft-5.0, and Flash may have a tough fight on its hands. Of
36 course, there's Microsoft Silverlight to worry about too...
37
38 > Flash *is* an open format; Adobe opened up its specs a while ago. It's
39 > just that the only full implementation of it isn't open (Adobe Flash).
40
41 AFAIK, the issue isn't the "openness" of the format, you're absolutely
42 correct on that, but the fact that some of the most effective and popular
43 flash related codecs have serious software patent issues, at least in
44 areas of the world where such things unfortunately exist.
45
46 The other factor is that while it's open, Adobe controls the spec I
47 believe, and thus can continue to develop their closed version and not
48 release the updated spec until they release their updated player at the
49 same time (if they choose to update the spec at all, they can just let it
50 fall behind if the chose, too), so open implementations will by
51 definition remain 1-2 versions behind, because by the time they get to a
52 particular spot, Adobe will have likely released a new version and a new
53 spec to go with it.
54
55 .....
56
57 [1] TTBOMK: To the best of my knowledge. emerge wtf and query it on the
58 command line as wtf ttbomk, if you need a cheat sheet for this sort of
59 thing, or look it up on onelook.com, FWIW, I have onelook setup as the
60 ol: kde web shortcut here, plus wtf. =:^)
65 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman