From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE Flag Grouping) with -@GROUP goodness
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:53:23
1 On Monday 25 October 2004 10:07, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
2 >
3 > So in your view, what Ed and I are suggesting is more complex than the
4 > original proposal? I definitely disagree on that. The implementation of
5 > what I proposed is simple to implement (handle a group at a time,
6 > automatically making circular references impossible), simple to debug
7 > (groups do not influence eachother unless one lists the other, evaluation
8 > is not order dependent) and simple to use (if a user doesn't think about it
9 > a lot, it will still have the expected results in cases like @KDE -@GNOME).
10
11 Basically I agree with you both. Maurice's solution is complicated, not
12 straight-forward and probably complicated for people who don't get set theory
13 all that well.
14
15 However the proposed solution can also get awkward in certain cases. For
16 example what does the negation of a group has as result when it contains a
17 negated element.
18
19 What I think is the best solution is to allow negation of groups only under
20 certain conditions. One condition is that the group may not contain negations
21
22 Paul
25 Paul de Vrieze
26 Gentoo Developer